Can I Use My California Teaching Credential in Other States?


Someone wants to know if Can I Use My California Teaching Credential in Other States. As California is a state that participates in the agreement, individuals with valid credentials from California have the opportunity to request a transfer of those credentials to another state.

Greetings and thank you for considering teaching in California! If you are a licensed teacher at the professional level from another state, you have the opportunity to directly apply to the Commission for an initial California credential in a subject area that is comparable without the need to complete any additional testing or coursework.


Can I use my California teaching credential in other states?

Whether you can use your California teaching credential in another state depends on a few factors! Here’s the lowdown:

Good news: You’re not completely out of luck! California participates in the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement, which means your credential might be transferable to many other states. But, it’s not quite a free pass.

The next steps:

  1. Check the receiving state: Each state has its requirements for accepting out-of-state credentials. Contact the Department of Education in the state you’re interested in and tell them you want to transfer your California credential. They’ll tell you exactly what you need to do.
    • Meet their criteria: Depending on the state, you might need to: Complete additional coursework or tests.
    • Have your experience evaluated.
    • Pass their state exams.
  2. Get your California credential verified: Contact the CTC (California Commission on Teacher Credentialing) and request a verification letter for your credential. This will be sent to the receiving state.

Even if your credential is transferable, you might still need to meet additional requirements specific to the subject you want to teach and the grade level you want to work with.


  • National Board Certification: If you hold this, you could qualify for a quicker transfer in some states.
  • Reciprocity agreements: California has reciprocity agreements with some states, meaning the transfer process is even easier. Check with the CTC for a list of these states.

Although it may not be a completely smooth process, do not lose hope! By conducting thorough research and putting in some effort, you have the potential to teach in a different state using your California credential. Wishing you the best of luck.


Where are California teaching credentials valid?

If you would like to gain further knowledge regarding your specific journey towards certification through reciprocity, you can delve into the details provided on the website of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The NASDTEC Interstate Reciprocity Agreements include the following states that have established a reciprocity agreement with California.



New Jersey




New Mexico




New York




North Carolina




North Dakota









West Virginia










Overview of Transferring Teaching Credentials to Others

California is part of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement, which enables teachers to transfer their credentials to other participating states. Confirm the conditions with the receiving state’s education department. See the table below for more details.

Education Required

Legitimate credential/certificate/license

Exam Requirements

Dependent on the receiving state

Average National Teacher Salary (2018)*

The cost of attending kindergarten and elementary school is $57,980, while the cost for middle school is $58,600, and high school is $60,320.

Estimated Job Growth (2016-2026)*

Approximately 7-8% of teachers across the country.

NASDTEC Interstate Agreement

The existing NASDTEC agreement, which covers the period from 2015 to 2020, is scheduled for review and renewal in 2020.

Educators must stay updated on the specifics of the latest agreement, particularly regarding state regulations for transfers. Within the agreement, there are definitions outlining the qualifications necessary to be recognized as an educator or administrator under its provisions.


Transfer Agreements

According to the agreement, educators who have obtained their credentials, licenses, or certificates through a more traditional pathway may find it easier to transfer them.

However, if candidates possess an alternative or non-traditional educator or administrator certificate, they would need to confirm the specifics of the transfer process with the Department of Education in the state where they are planning to teach. You have to know also why is general education good for everyone? It’s important to know for getting general education.


Transferring Credentials from California

As California is part of the agreement, individuals with valid credentials from California can request to transfer those credentials to another state.

The request must be made while the credentials are still valid and the candidate must have obtained their degree from one of the approved schools listed in the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement.

Conditions for Transfer:

1. The transfer must comply with any applicable laws and regulations.

2. Both parties involved in the transfer must agree to the terms and conditions.

3. The transfer must be properly documented and recorded.

4. Any outstanding debts or obligations must be settled before the transfer can take place.

5. The transfer should not result in any negative impact on the rights or interests of third parties.

6. The transferred entity or property should be in good condition and free of any encumbrances.

7. Any necessary approvals or permits required for the transfer must be obtained beforehand.

8. Both parties should ensure that all relevant taxes and fees associated with the transfer are paid.

9. The transfer should not violate any contractual agreements or restrictions.

10. Any warranties, guarantees, or liabilities associated with the transferred entity should be disclosed to the receiving party.

These are the conditions that must be met for a transfer to take place while ensuring that all legal requirements are fulfilled and potential risks are mitigated.

Read also: Why are teachers so lazy?


Is it possible for me to utilize my teaching credential from California in Colorado?

Educator licenses cannot be transferred to Colorado from other states. However, individuals holding a teacher, special services, principal, or administrator license issued by another state can fulfill or surpass the requirements for obtaining an initial Colorado license and/or desired endorsement area(s).


Which states have teacher certification reciprocity with New York?

New York’s got your back when it comes to teaching across state lines! As part of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement, your New York teacher certification is immediately recognized in 46 other states, letting you skip a big chunk of the paperwork shuffle. No passport is needed. But wait, there’s more! New York also has separate reciprocity agreements with 4 additional states: Hawaii, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming. These agreements often streamline the process even further, making hopping between classrooms in these states feel like a summer breeze.

So, where can you teach with your New York license? Think coast to coast, from sunny California to the vibrant streets of New Orleans. Just remember, each state might have additional requirements, like subject-specific tests or background checks, so always check with their Department of Education before packing your teaching bags.

Do you know How to become a substitute teacher in California? You may get full guide details for becoming a substitute teacher in California.


Which states offer full teaching license reciprocity?

The good news is, you’re not tethered to just one state with your teaching dreams! Eight adventurous states proudly wave the flag of full teaching license reciprocity:

  1. Arizona: Saddle up for sunshine and cactus-filled classrooms without any additional hoops to jump through.
  2. Florida: Trade in your winter coat for flip-flops and sandy beaches – your license comes along effortlessly.
  3. Hawaii: Aloha to paradise! No extra tests or paperwork, just island vibes and eager students.
  4. Illinois: Embrace the Windy City spirit and diverse classrooms, your license already fits right in.
  5. Mississippi: The Delta welcomes you with open arms, and your teaching credentials won’t need any convincing.
  6. Missouri: Show-Me State, show-me a simpler transfer process – your license is pre-approved!
  7. Nevada: Roll the dice on a new teaching adventure, your license is lucky enough to join you.
  8. Oklahoma: Sooner or later, you’ll be teaching here, and your license won’t hold you back.

However, it is important to note that even in these places where there is a mutual exchange of rights and privileges, there may still be certain requirements related to specific subjects or restrictions based on grade levels.


Last Word

With the NASDTEC agreement and savvy research, you can navigate the transfer process like a seasoned explorer, unlocking classrooms from sun-drenched Florida to the vibrant streets of New York. Remember, it’s not just about crossing state lines, it’s about embarking on a new chapter of your teaching journey. Pack your passion, grab your lesson plans, and remember, the world of education awaits.

Therefore, it is always advisable to verify the information with the Department of Education of the state you are sending your lesson plans to before finalizing your preparations.

Leave a Comment